Microsoft today released Microsoft ASP.NET and Frameworks 2012.2.
This release updates ASP.NET and includes updates to Visual Studio 2012 or Visual Studio 2012 Web Express.
For more information see instructions in the release notes at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=275132.
Features and updates:
ASP.NET Web API
- ASP.NET Web API now includes support for OData endpoints that support both ATOM and JSON-light formats. With OData you get support for rich query semantics, paging, $metadata, CRUD operations, and custom actions over any data source. Read more about ASP.NET Web API OData support at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=271141.
- New built-in tracing functionality lets you easily diagnose problems with Web API whether you’re running in Visual Studio or on Windows Azure. Tracing output from Web API is automatically written to the Visual Studio output window, IntelliTrace, and any other trace listener that you would like, including Windows Azure Diagnostics.
- The output shows the full Web API pipeline for all requests, including any exceptions or errors that occur, what controller and action were selected, model binding, the format that was negotiated, and the response.
- Updated Web API projects now contain a link to an automatically generated help page that shows how to call your web API.
- The help page shows all of your API endpoints, the HTTP verbs they support, parameters, and sample request and response messages.
- You can customize the help page as you like. For more information see http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=285385.
- ASP.NET SignalR is a new library for ASP.NET developers that simplifies the process of adding real-time web functionality to your applications.
- Real-time web functionality is the ability to have server-side code push content to connected clients instantly as it becomes available.
- You may have heard of the HTML5 WebSocket API that enables efficient bidirectional communication between the browser and server. SignalR uses Websockets when it is supported by the browser and the server, and gracefully falls back to other techniques and technologies when it is not. Either way, your application code stays the same.
- The new Facebook Application template makes writing Facebook Canvas applications easy.
- In a few simple steps, you can create a Facebook application that gets data from a logged in user and integrates with their friends.
- The template includes a new library to take care of all the plumbing involved in building a Facebook app, including authentication, permissions, accessing Facebook data and more.
- This lets you focus on building the business logic in your app.
- The Facebook apps you can build with this new template are hosted on the web and displayed inside the Facebook chrome via an iframe.